Disassociation

Do you have questions about psychopathy, psychopaths and victimization of victims? Help us create a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for this site.
Puff

Disassociation

Post by Puff »

Do victims start to shut down after years with a psychopath? Would they watch cruelty directed at a vulnerable life and do nothing- just move inside their head and not exist for awhile? How bad can this get?
drkosson

Re: Disassociation

Post by drkosson »

With apologies for the slow response, I believe there are no systematic research studies that have specifically addressed coping reactions of victims and survivors to cruel behavior by psychopathic individuals. There are some qualitative studies, subjective accounts by survivors, that have been published. I believe there is a summary of some of this research on the Aftermath Foundation website. If we can , we will add a link to this summary. There is evidence that people who have been victimized can be at heightened risk for dissociation as well as at heightened risk for being victimized again. There is also evidence that people who are victimized in relationships over time can be prone to experience some additional symptoms in addition to the symptoms associated with depression, anxiety, and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and a syndrome called Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. These things can also happen to people who only witness violence or abuse to others whether or not they do something about it. Sometimes people can be in the role of bystanders to cruelty and can get stuck in that role. I will see if we can learn more about research done in the area of dissociation by victims of violence. If we learn more, someone will post again.
MsParker

Re: Disassociation

Post by MsParker »

What kind of research has been done about victims of psychopathy that are well adjusted and highly functional both in the situation and when recovering?

Examples:

1) when I was aging out of my mom's control she tried to have me committed to a psych facility. The guy that evaluated me told me I was the most well adjusted teenager he'd ever met. I'm sure he recognized my danger but he couldn't or wouldn't help me.

2) after I cut contact with my family to protect my kids from my mom we were frequently homeless. during an interview with an assistance group the woman was frustrated by the fact that I was too we adjusted and functional for her to help me. If my reactions were more visibly severe we would have qualified for some assistance. As I was, we did not.

The fact that I didn't have any observable signs of abuse protected my abuser when I was a kid. In fact she counted on my stability protecting her. The fact that I don't have any behavior difficulties now prevents mental health people from understanding how much help I need. Why doesn't the mental health profession understand that not all survivors have the same set of reactions and results to abuse? The unseen injuries need care, too.