Is Psychopathy a Mental Illness?

Do you have questions about psychopathy, psychopaths and victimization of victims? Help us create a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for this site.
Growing1Souly

Is Psychopathy a Mental Illness?

Post by Growing1Souly »

What is the expert call on psychopathy? Is psychopathy a mental illness? I thought psychopaths weren't "sick," just "disordered."

In the article below, the author claims that psychopathy is a mental illness.

[Link deleted by Group Moderator. See Rule 16. If you have a link that you would like to share, e-mail to Moving-on-support@rosalindfranklin.edu for consideration.]

I checked Wikipedia. "Mental illness" is briefly mentioned at the top of the information on mental disorders and seems to be interchangeable with "mental disorder."

If "mental illness" is recognized by mental health professionals, how do they define it and in what context?

I checked online for definitions. I found statements saying that the legal definition of a psychopath differs from the mental health definition.

What definition is accepted as the most accurate? Whose definition is it?
the_analyst

Re: Is Psychopathy a Mental Illness?

Post by the_analyst »

I don't think it's an illness as they can't get over it and there was never a normal healthy state to begin with. It's a personality disorder or imho an evolutionary adaptation.

There was an article about primary and secondary psychopaths I saw that mentioned secondary psychopaths are caused by environment, so might be some chance to change them but that's assuming you accept there's such a thing.
alexdavid

Re: Is Psychopathy a Mental Illness?

Post by alexdavid »

I am also wondering about this. I read somewhere from a self-proclaimed psychopath that they could probably change, but in order to do that they would have to completely dismantle their whole persona and they don't want to do that since they are comfortable enough. I also had this feeling with the psychopath I know. I felt that he could change but he would have to give up everything he is used to. And of course, he has it too good, despite all his often complaining how "no-one likes him". It's a paradox.